ePub Packaging Guides
18 January 2013
We have a series of articles on the APEX@IGP site on producing and packaging ePub2/3, plus fixed layout ePubs. These are moderately popular (and useful) so this is a quick guide to all of the page resources with some descriptive text.
We have a series of articles on the APEX@IGP site on producing and packaging ePub2/3, plus fixed layout ePubs.
These are moderately popular (and useful). Here is a quick guide to all of the page resources with some descriptive text of what you will find in each page.
Click on the bold heading to open a page. Pages open in a new window.
The Starter Basics
- The ePub 3 Package ePub3 Packaging-1 This first topic is a quick overview of a standard ePub3 package.
- The Open Packaging Format file ePub3 Packaging 2 Discusses and illustrates the OPF or Open Packaging Format in detail with discussion about the big three structures: metadata, the manifest and the spine and the essential Unique Identifier.
- The Manifest ePub3 Packaging-3 Discusses the manifest in detail. This is a critical component for Reading Systems to understand what is in the package, and whether they can use that contents. This topic discusses some of the more complex manifest structures. These are supported by demonstration ePub3 resources.
- The Navigation File ePub 3 Packaging-4. This section discusses the various navigation options in ePub3 in detail including Table of Contents, Landmarks, Page navigation and other navigation structures.
- The files ePub3 Packaging-5 A summary of the files that must be, can be and might be in an ePub3 package.
- ePub3 Tagging Exemplars ePub 3 Packaging-6 Tagging pattern samples make it easy to understand the package.
- ePub 3 SMIL Packaging ePub 3 Packaging-7 It's easy-ish!
A Little More In-depth
- Using epub:type The epub:type property enhances the value and accessibility of ePub3 files. This article discusses how IPG:Digital Publisher processes IGP:FoundationXHTML to apply comprehensive epub:type properties.
- Spine order in ePub Discussion and advice on spine ordering and organizing the section sequence order in ePub2 and ePub3.
Basic Fixed Layout Packaging
- ePub3 Fixed Layout Packaging ePub3 Packaging for a fixed layout ePub.
The pages are oriented towards IGP:Digital Publisher production, but are written to be production system neutral.
Posted by Richard Pipe